We have designed guidelines and procedures to achieve the selection process to be open and fair as defined in the European Charter for Researchers and more specifically in the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers adopted in 2005.
BIENVENÜE follows the MSCA-COFUND principle of “individual-driven mobility”, where the candidates have the freedom to build their research project. The future postdoctoral researcher is the applicant.
The overall competitive process is designed to focus on the candidates’ excellence, their potential as researchers and innovators, as well as their willingness to enroll in the innovative development of the Brittany region. The applications will be evaluated by highly recognized external experts, according to four main criteria: scientific interest of the project, potential of the candidate, feasibility of the project, and potential research outcomes of the project.
We will select fellows in three calls for projects launched in 2021, 2022 and 2023. For each call, 25 fellowships of 24 months positions are open.
Consult the BIENVENÜE toolbox below to access all key documents and documentation.
Where can I undertake my research project within BIENVENÜE?
As a BIENVENÜE fellow, you will be employed by one of the BIENVENÜE partners institutions. The hosting laboratory must be based in Brittany.
Who can supervise my work?
Your supervisor must be based in Brittany and in one of the following situations:
- Permanent staff of a partner research institution, with the status of « chargé·e de recherche », « directeur·rice de recherche », « maître de conférences », « professeur des universités » or « ingénieur·e de recherche titulaire de l’HDR »;
- Permanent staff from another research institution, but member of a laboratory administratively attached to at least one of the eight partner research institution, and relying on a permanent staff of a partner institution as co-supervisor;
- Non-permanent staff of a partner research institution, with an employment contract of a duration equal to or greater than the total duration of recruitment of the supervised post-doctoral fellow.
Meet Breton researchers interested in supervising BIENVENÜE fellows on this page.
It is mandatory to contact beforehand Breton researchers and to indicate in your application the name and lab of (at least) one who has agreed to supervise your project if successful. You must indicate these informations in the dedicated area in the application template. This is only a declaration of honour and no supporting document (such as letter of recommendation) is necessary.
Projects from every discipline can be funded as long as they relate directly or indirectly to one of the strategic objectives of the Breton S3 and are related to the Strategic Innovation Areas:
- Maritime economy for blue growth,
- Secure and responsible digital economy,
- Health and welfare economics for a better quality of life,
- Food economy for everyone to eat well,
- Economics of industry for intelligent production,
and/or the transversal axis around transitions.
In practice, your project should contribute directly or indirectly to at least one of the RIS3 Strategic Objectives. If applicable, you will indicate in your application the strategic innovation area(s) and subdomain your project is relevant to.
There is no thematic quota or repartition.
Are you eligible?
There are two cumulative conditions to be eligible:
- First, you must be in possession of a doctoral degree or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience (you are considered as Recognized Researcher in European standards).
- Second, you have not resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies…) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline. Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
For the 2023 call, please consider the period from 15/02/2020 to 15/02/2023.
These conditions are European ones and can be more restrictives as the general understanding. Also, no exception can be made.
How are we selecting candidates?
One the application stage closed, Région Bretagne will proceed to an eligibility check to verify the basic requirement of each application. By the end of April, you will receive an email explaining whether or not your application is eligible. If it is not eligible, the email will state on which criteria it is rejected.
Then, your application will scientifically evaluated by three independent experts. They will be chosen on the basis of your project abstract, project keywords and your identity (the latter to avoid conflict of interest). We will consider four criteria:
- Scientific excellence of the project,
- Potential of the fellow to reach professional maturity
- Potential outcomes of the project
- Feasability of the project
The third and final step is the consensus selection by the Scientific Board, composed of international experts. The Scientific Board will decide on a final ranking based on the scientific evaluations. Again, there will be no thematic priorization or repartition.
How to apply?
Apply online only on region.bretagne.bzh/recherche
Make sure to use the application template and to follow the formal guidelines.
Find more detail on what to include in your application, how to use the Extranet Recherche Platform… in the BIENVENÜE toolbox below.
Upcoming InfoSession about Call 2023: more information here
- Guide for applicants
- Application template in Microsoft Word Format, in RTF format and in OpenDocument
- RIS3 full strategy and summary (in English) and in French
- List of eligible laboratories
- Guidelines for the application platform
- Find presentations of the past Information Sessions in the News section
Still some questions?
You are still missing information? Check the FAQ to find answers to the most asked questions. You are also encouraged to contact us directly.